Introduction to Dundrum
240 years ago, a young architect, Samuel Sproule, obtained a 99 year lease from Viscount Fitzwilliam. It was for 19 acres, on both sides of the road from Dublin to Powerscourt near Dundrum Castle. For some reason he decided to create a village there and by the time he died, 50 years later, it had become a successful venture. During that period Dundrum had gained a reputation as a health resort, with goat’s whey and pure mountain air as the attractions.
A regular Omnibus service from Dublin commenced in 1810 and so many people were coming, mostly on day trips but some to reside, that, in 1845, a group of businessmen decided it would be ideal for a railway service. After a lot of problems it eventually opened in 1854.
This stimulated the rebuilding of the village, beginning with a new Constabulary Station and Court House in 1856. It was the availability of cheaper machine made bricks in the 1870s that led to the construction of most of the Main Street we have today.
There have been changes through the years. Some front gardens have had shops erected on them and some buildings have been replaced, generally, but not always unfortunately, in keeping with the local architectural style.
Although officially designated as a Town, to most locals it is still ‘our village’ and it is facing another major change with the redevelopment of the western side. It is our hope that this will enhance rather than destroy ‘our village’.